Tuesday 21 August 2007

Bioshock - Fix for side-by-side error

So like many of you I installed the Bioshock demo today to give the game a try to see what all of the fuss was about :)

The installation went smoothly but when I tried to run the game, I got an error something along the lines of;

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "c:\games\Bioshock" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem
Reinstalling the game didnt fix my problem and neither did alternative drivers for my graphics card.

I did some research and the issue seems to be derived from a problem with VC++ files either not matching or being included in the program.

The solution that worked for me was to run windows update and install the latest windows updates and .NET updates, then reboot.

After the reboot Bioshock started and ran fine, no issues with videos or game play.

Hope this helps someone else.

UPDATE:

Sorry neglected to mention that this is on a Windows Vista 32bit installation, running on a Macbook Pro with an ATI Radeon X1600 256MB RAM graphics card.




No comments: